Universitas Negeri Padang (UNP) is one of the oldest universities in Indonesia. UNP firstly established as a Teacher Education College in Batusangkar, West Sumatera, Indonesia, on September 1, 1954. The Teacher Education College then became the Institute of Teacher Training and Education (IKIP Padang). In 1999, its status changed as a University with a greater mandate which also led to non-education study programs.
On its development, UNP has focused consistently on its main mission in education while also to produce other professional fields. UNP is ready to set its vision to become a leading university based on devotion to God, the Almighty, and to compete globally in various fields of education, knowledge, technology, sports, language and arts in Southeast Asia until 2020. UNP aims to do as a superior center in various fields of education, knowledge, technology, sports, language, and art.
Faculty of Languages and Arts (FBS) has eight majors. The faculty has playing the important role which not only on producing the culture that strengthens national identity, but also on building cooperation in various fields with the foreign country. Faculty of Languages and Arts has tried to improve the quality of existing sources in order to anticipate global competition and to represent national identity and integrity.
Becoming superior faculty that prepared a professional educators who are devoted to the Almighty God, and qualified to the field of languages and arts.
- Producing professional educators on languages and arts who mastering in education and pedagogy which independent, ethical and cultured.
- Producing professional human resources that can contribute to the development of the country in field of languages and arts based on devotion to God, the Almighty.
- Managing the campus as a conducive forum to create collegial interactions between the academics in various fields, such as linguistics, art, culture, and literature inside or outside of the campus.
- Providing further education in the field of languages and arts.
- Producing graduates who can develop themselves in their family and communities and can create jobs in fields of languages and arts.
- Cooperating in various institutions from domestic and foreign.
Human Resources and Facilities:
The teaching staffs of the faculty have educational qualifications ranging from masters to doctoral degree whose are graduated from domestic and foreign. Some majors are supported by native speakers and some teaching staff who also has special expertise and good reputation in national, regional, and international level. Faculty of Languages and Arts provides classroom that use air conditioner, labour of language, labour of natural language processing, labour of computer, studio, and Wi-Fi in order to support the students.